Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why I Don't Like Forums Part I Tone of Voice

When you are reading you loose something very important: Tone Of Voice.

For example, if I said "sit down, please" my tone of voice would give you the full meaning of my words. I could say "sit down, please" through gritted teeth and you would know that I was angry and that my request was really a demand. If I said it with a sing song tone you would know I am happy and I am requesting you to sit. I could also say it in a sincere tone of voice and my tone would let you know that it would be my honor for you to sit down.

Tone of voice is just as important to your conversation as your words.

Part II to come shortly. :) My tone of voice: Respectfully Soft

1 comment:

'Rita said...

Dear heart...speaking IRL is wonderful (and seeing you all on Sunday was fantastic!), but remember the whole stay at home surrounded by loads of children thing? I need my forums to connect with ADULTS!!!!

And besides...that's what all those fantastic little insertions are for. (Grinning impishly!)